Friday, March 11, 2011

Reincarnation

My goodness, can this be true? Is this really another post after weeks and weeks of literary drought? It indeed is! And my what a loaded post it will be. Not loaded as in long and drawn out, not long and listless like a fat full snake, but more concept heavy than anything. As I wasted my life away repetitively pressing the stumble button in the top left hand corner of my internet window, I ended up in a tripping on a curious story about life, death, the human population, and the universe being an egg. Yes. An egg. Regardless of the peculiar metaphor, it was a compelling read. The short story focused on the idea that all of mankind is the same person, just reincarnated over and over again, thrust into different times, different situations, all for the sake of eventually maturing into a god. This all got me thinking - how do I feel about reincarnation? I vow to stay as far away from the whole spinning of the wheel that Robert Jordan uses throughout his brilliant epic, but I wonder how I could tackle the idea of reincarnating dead gods in a human society.

I understand that the phrase "dead gods" is a bit of a paradox, keeping their immortality and such in mind, but I must say that if the gods were to war, somebody's going to die. Furthermore, it would be completely irrational to believe that such a powerful existence could simply VANISH - depreciate, yes, but not vanish. While I'm playing this pinball game of ideas, I can't help but bring Zeus and the pantheon into the conversation. When Zeus and his siblings took over from their parents, the titans, were they not able to bring them down? Were they not able to slay the greater Gods? Once again, slay may not exactly be the most appropriate word, but its what we've got to work with at this point. Slay, kill, execute...death in general.. the words all deal with the idea of mortality and the thought that when the grim reaper comes, its all over. Gods don't just die. But when they're..taken out so to speak..where do their spirits go?

1 comment:

  1. Circle of Friends

    When you die, yoiu feel as if there were some subtle change, but everything looks approximately the same You get up and brush your teeth. You kiss your spouse and kids and leave for work. There is less traffic than normal. The rest of your building seems less full, as though it's a holiday. But everyone in your office is here, and they greet you kindly. You feel strangely popular. Everyone you run into is someone you know. At some point, it dawns on you that this is the afterlife: the world is only madeup of people you've already met before.

    From Sum
    by David Engleman

    .

    ReplyDelete