Saturday, October 1, 2011

Games

I'm about to head off to the beach for a much needed day to decompress, but I thought I'd scribble something down here before I ran out the door.

Making up a game from scratch is tough. Anytime you need to come up with something thats dictated by a set of finite rules, where there is an invariable chance to screw things up so that when read carefully the actions don't make sense.... trouble arrises. I bring this up because building a board game, a very important one at that, is something I found myself doing earlier this week. I just got through a scene where two of our big characters had something very important to them on the line, and the only way to win was to take a gamble - play a game of Pandora's box. To tell you the truth, when I thought of this I had zero idea what the devil this game was going to be like, but, it seemed a natural and necessary evil. I'm still not sure if I managed to get all the kinks worked out or not, but it is definitely a chapter I'll have to revisit in some length in the future.

And I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment