Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 2

I've got a feeling that after a few days, titling these posts "day 1, day2,day3" ect. is going to get pretty boring, so I promise to give some more imaginative titles in the days to come.

I suppose the first thing I should address is the definition of the word "Hierarchy". Loosely speaking, a hierarchy is a system where people are ranked one above the other depending upon status and authority. If you take the idea of a hierarchy and apply it to different life forms, it creates a "chain of being" if you will. The idea of a chain of being, of a universal hierarchy, sets the groundwork for the story of Hierarchy.

Now, trying to explain this central principal of the story has me walking on a fine line: just how much exactly am I willing to divulge? In order to even ATTEMPT to explain this story, this idea is quite vital. So I suppose I'll go a little farther.

So what the hell does this definition of a hierarchy have to do with the STORY of Hierarchy? To understand this, we need to go back to the chain of being idea and to my previous post where I spoke of breaking away from that Tolkien platform that so many fantasies are built upon. Yes there will be elves, yes there will be Gods, and of course there will be human beings - but these Gods, these elves, and these humans are by far not alone and every race has a very specific relationship to one and other. I will go as far to say that the chain of being puts the Gods at the top and the humans at the bottom, but everything in between will be revealed in due time.

The other little tid-bit I must divulge is that certain classes I have taken in college the past year (international relations and government) have begun to shape the story line and over all structure of Hierarchy. To give a little insight, international relations deals with the communication and interactions between the nations of the world and outlines the details of how diplomats are received and treated in foreign countries. The specific rules and regulations that countries, diplomats, and citizens are held too inspired the way that I designed the internal system of Hierarchy. As far as government is concerned, all I will say is that a court system plays a major role in Hierarchy.

That should be enough to chew on for today: tomorrow, Zuriel will make his entrance

No comments:

Post a Comment