Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Light the path

So it's been about a week now and already I've found myself struggling with what to talk about. The problem arrises due to the simple fact that delving too deep into the world of Hierarchy would give too much away. Should I start posting pieces of writing? Ideas about how the series will be written? Is it too soon to go into the plot? Should I keep taking you all down the dark road where you can't see the turns, or should I start putting up street lamps? I understand that the dark is somewhat frightening...so maybe it's time for a little illumination.

I was playing around with ideas for starting off Hierarchy and, of course, a prologue seemed like a reasonable idea. I've changed my mind a bit since writing this and I'm considering starting the novel off in medias res - I'll talk about this later. For now, even though it won't make sense to most of you, here is the brief original prologue for Hierarchy:

"The moonlight glinted off of the great lake as Amaros gazed over the castle balcony. A wind blew over the lake sending star studded ripples across its surface; Amaros managed a weak smile as he took in what he knew would be his last night. As a god, he was fully aware of his near future but as a star, he knew that at this point in time he was powerless to change the course of his fate.

According to the scouts, the head of the Hierarchy had been assassinated – eleven hours ago to be exact. He had time yet to live.

As Amaros turned towards his bed a loud crack echoed throughout the halls of the castle – it was like the sound breaking bones…but so much louder. A sudden burst of wind buffeted Amaros from the open balcony sending shivers down his spine. But it was still too early. He should have had more time.

The light in the room began to shift, twist, turn and take shape. Turing quickly towards the balcony, Amaros was greeted with a quick five blows to the chest. Opening his eyes, Amaros found himself prostrate on the floor. As he began to feel his body drain of life, as he began to realize that his body was loosing its God like luster, he saw what he feared most.

Black fire."

No comments:

Post a Comment