Monday, October 11, 2010

Three Spheres

For reasons I have yet to figure out, I found myself contemplating the hierarchy of the angels this weekend. Truth be told, its fascinating.

A friend of mine told me a while back to pick up a book called Paradise Lost, the story of Lucifer's fall and the battle of the Angels - I fully intend to do this soon. Paradise Lost outlines the different stations in the hierarchy of angels, from the "lowly" angels to the high and mighty seraphim and talks about the three different "spheres" to which they belong.

The intricacy, scope, and detail of the angelical hierarchy is stunning. Every single angel has a duty, every angel has reason for being. They play vital roles in human society, serving as guardians, guides, muses....the angels were everything and anything. And they rarely showed (show?) themselves.

Influential? Indeed. Game changing? I doubt it. The hierarchy of angels has given me something to think about, something to research and contemplate while I write, but the Hierarchy won't change because of it. However, it may give birth to some interesting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment